Thursday, September 24, 2009

Revised to-do list

I am reading the book, Professionalizing Motherhood and came across a great idea. I haven't started formally doing this yet but am so excited to get started! With the thought that, after God, our families are to be our next priority, the author proposes changing how we make to-do lists.

Current to-do list-
1.Clean the kitchen
2.Mail Cherie's Tastefully Simple kit
3.Change sheets
4.Laundry
5.Go to store for milk
6.etc.,etc., etc......

While this is a great way to stay on task and I will keep doing this also, it neglects to pinpoint our first priority, our precious family!

This is the new addition I am going to add to my to-do list.
1.Michael-
2.Ruben-
3.Ethan-
4.Isabella-
5.Aubrey-

As I go about my day, I will fill in something that I do that will make that person feel special. Sometimes it will be as easy as laundry on my son Ruben's spot. Having clean clothes makes him feel loved. A favorite thing for dinner, books with my daughter, these types of things. A lot of this stuff I do anyway, but this will be a great way to make sure everyone is getting something.

What I love the most about this idea is that I sometimes struggle with the dailyness of my life. Dishes, laundry, diapers, work...Sometimes at the end of the day it seems like I gave all day but nothing meaningful was accomplished. This will give me a way to know that my day meant something. If I can finish this "to-do" list everyday, I will know that I gave my best to the most important people in my life. It will be proof to me that my day did have meaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment